Skip to main content
CHILI COOKOFF RULES
- Contestants must pre-register; no walk-ups will be accepted for contest judgment.
- Contestants must check-in at the registration tent upon arrival. Chili should be dropped off between 2:45pm and 3:15pm.
- Chili must be prepared in advance and will be transferred to pans provided by Fresh Start Church.
- Fresh Start will provide chafing dishes, heating element and ladles. Chili must be warm upon arrival. Please note, we will not heat up cold chili.
- Contestants must prepare between 3-5 quarts of chili.
- All ingredients are OK to use, no restrictions. If you are using ingredients people may be allergic to, please let the check-in table know.
- Fresh Start will provide common condiments such as: oyster crackers, shredded cheese and diced onions.
- Eating utensils such as: bowls, spoons and napkins will be provided.
- Specialty condiments/toppings are NOT allowed for judging. Eg: No corn bread, sour cream, etc… There is no room on the tables for extra condiments/toppings/sides etc.
- Each chef will be able to prepare the chili cup serving for judging. Runners will receive the cup and serve it to the judges.
- Judge’s backs will face the serving stations to keep chefs anonymous. No signage, handouts, recipe cards are to be displayed or provided to any of the judges.
- Judging will start at 3:30pm.
- Winners will be announced once judging has commenced, around 4:30pm.
- 3 rounds of judging will take place to determine a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place chili.
- 3 judges, however a 4th (tiebreaker) judge will be designated in the event of a tie in the 1st
- The judging will be based upon TASTE!
- Each judge will sample the chilis submitted and rank them on a scale of 1 – 10 based on the criteria above.
- Top 5 (highest point total) will move on to Round 2
- In the event of a tie, a 4th judge will sample the tied chili’s and rank them ultimately breaking the tie.
- Judges will taste the top 5 chili finalists and choose their top 3 based on the same criteria as the first round.
- Top 3 vote getters move forward to the final contest prize round.
- Each judge will rank the top 3 chili finalists.
- Based on the rankings received, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner will be determined.